William Devinny, Pvt.

1751-1808

In 1778 he served in Cluggage’s Rangers. Like Captain Black, his commander, William had ties to Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, as mentioned in his father’s will (Frankstown, Pa in 1777).

William later became a Militia commander. He was Lt. William Deveny of 5th Company. He continued to serve Frankstown and up the Kittaning Path.

He married Mary Robinson.

William’s sisters were Mary and Jean. He had a brother named Andrew, who owned a mill in Frankstown. After the war they moved to what is now Indiana County near the Blacklick to a place aferwards known as Devinny’s Hollow.

(Historical Southern Families. Volume XX,
William Devinny of Huntington and Indiana Counties Pa.)