Special Visits by the Washingtons
and by
Kathy Roberdeau Alwin

Revolutionary War Days
July 14-15
Saturday 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM Sunday 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM

See the Revolutionary War in action! American patriots defend the Lead Mine Fort as British loyalists and Native Americans wait for an opportunity to attack. Become immersed in 18th century field camp life and battle reenactments with a story line based on events on the Pennsylvania frontier. The program is designed to tell a story from the beginning of the event on Saturday morning through its conclusion on Sunday afternoon, with major battle reenactment each afternoon at 3:00. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early and stay through the afternoon. Bring a lawn chair to view the action.


Things to Do

School Tours
Visit Us

About Us

Fort Roberdeau is a Blair County Park located in the scenic Sinking Valley

 The reconstructed fort is open during the spring, summer and fall. It is the site of several events, recreational activities, and school field trips throughout the year.

The fort, also known as The Lead Mine Fort, is a reconstruction of the original fort that stood here in the 18th Century. The original fort was built in 1778, during the American Revolution to help supply the Continental forces with lead for ammunition. It was built of horizontal logs with a bastion at each corner. The fort was a cabin fort, with 48 cabins in the initial structure, which helped reinforce the walls.

General Daniel Roberdeau organized and paid for the construction. It protected local lead mining activities, as well as local settlers from the Native Americans and Tories in the region.

Efforts were made in 1939-41 to reconstruct the fort with support from the National Youth Administration. With the outbreak of World War II the plans were put on hold. In 1974 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The stockade was finally reconstructed as a Bicentennial project in 1975-76. 

The fort consists of a reconstructed fort and 5 buildings along with a smelter. Also on the grounds is a restored barn (1859) which serves as visitor center, a restored farmhouse (ca. 1860), a sinkhole, a trail system, and a log house (2012) built in the style of a frontier house. There are currently plans for a playground to be added to the grounds.

Contact us

Need to reach us? Feel free to leave us a message here, or contact us on facebook. We are always happy to hear from you.